Start of Main Content

In June 2013, over 100 students arrived on the Evanston campus to begin their journeys through Kellogg’s one-year MBA program. Less than two months later, we caught up with 1Y students Hyoungjun Park and Emily Kiernan to talk about their experiences thus far. Here is what they had to say:

H Park

On the Location

The Evanston campus is a perfect environment to enjoy your MBA life! People are friendly, the city is clean and the weather is nice. I am very happy to spend my time in this amazing environment. The best moment is when you reach Lake Michigan on the campus; it’s very beautiful!

On the Curriculum 

The curriculum at Kellogg is rigorous. You have to read several articles and business cases every day, but reading is not enough. You must think things through deeply, and while it is somewhat challenging, it’s also worthwhile.

On the Community

Through CIM week activities and a lot of group work, I have found my classmates are really wonderful – smart, active, open-minded, collaborative and enthusiastic! It is unbelievable how more than 100 students have similar characteristics, in spite of our very different ethnic and professional backgrounds.

—Hyoungjun Park ’14

Emily K

On the Faculty

The two stand-outs for me, so far, have been the faculty and culture. The faculty members I have had the privilege of interacting with have been fantastic. Obviously they all have impressive credentials and know their fields inside and out, but what has set it apart for me has been their passion, accessibility and their genuine desire to see us succeed (which, when I think about it, is actually part of the culture at Kellogg)!

On the Culture

The culture is one of the reasons I applied to the program, and it has definitely lived up to expectations. Everyone from the students to the faculty to the staff are genuine, supportive and collaborative. This was really evident in the way the 1Ys pulled together to get through a tough first few weeks of case studies and exams. This culture truly provides the right environment for you to challenge yourself and get out of your comfort zone. I’m looking forward to more of it in the coming year!

—Emily Kiernan ’14