Tips for Applying to Kellogg (Part 3)

At Kellogg we recognize that applying to business school is a time and labor-intensive process that requires a lot of care and consideration, as well as hours of test prep, interviewing and essay writing. We get lots of questions about how applicants can make their application stand out, so this week we are offering a few suggestions on how you can help us best understand who you are and why you want Kellogg to become a part of your future.

Today’s topic: Letters of recommendation

Additional topics: Test scoresessaysvideo essays and the interview

Many applicants wonder who is most suited and desirable to approach for a recommendation. I know that was a tough decision when I applied. The admissions committee is most interested in someone who knows you and your work experience, regardless of title or prior connection to Kellogg. A supervisor who understands your daily contributions may be more illuminating for us than a CEO who is less familiar with your work.

It’s a good idea to help your recommender understand why you’re interested in Kellogg and how you want your Kellogg MBA to further your career goals. It’s important to try and talk with your recommenders about these points, but it’s even more important to allow them to provide their own opinions and write the recommendation themselves.

We know some applicants aren’t able to approach a current supervisor for a recommendation. Previous supervisors, clients, or project managers may be good alternatives. If you don’t choose a current supervisor, just let us know why (it would affect my bonus, I would be asked to leave, etc.) — we understand that indicating you’re planning to leave the work force can have consequences in different industries. Most applicants who don’t have a current supervisor write their recommendation provide an explanation in the Additional Information section of the application.

Apply now!

For more information about Kellogg’s applications components, visit our website.

0 comments

1. Hi Beth,

Thanks for your help on the recommendations. I have a question regarding picking my recommenders. As I have a diverse profile, where I have worked in service industry for 2.5 years and afterwards joined as a CEO in my father’s company (family business).

Please advice on whether I should get both the recommendations from my service managers or is it preferrable to get one from my current company director (assuming that a recomendation might have less weightage if it’s coming from a family company)?

Thanks.